Yoga for Boys Comic Hero a Teaching Treasure
A new super hero is ready to squash harmful stress in Young Yoga Master’s Yoga Man vs The Stressor Sun Salutation Training Package. Taking her cue from comic books superheros Aruna Kathy Humphrys has created a child friendly, adventuresome and entertaining way to help children learn not only the poses which make up Surya Namaskar but also to teach them correct breathing, mental discipline and stress reduction principles.
This extensive package includes 112 pages filled with well prepared, age appropriate information and useful print-ables such as:
- Colouring Book: full page and quarter page versions of each pose
- Handout Activities: matching, fill in the blank, etc.
- Teacher’s Aid: with alignment details to ensure proper execution of each pose
- Pose Manual: detailed instructions including colour photos of boys performing the poses, precautions and super hero verbal cues ex: “Activate your core muscles at your ‘Power Centre’.”
- Games & Activities: 11 games to teach and expand application of Sun Salutations
- Secrets of the Sun Salutation: insight into our relationship with the sun and the light of consciousness
My favourite part of the package is the Games & Activities which provide creative ways to teach children about stress and ways to deal with it in their lives. Varying in duration (15-60 mins) each game is inspired by Sun Salutations, use the pose cards from the Colouring Book, and include reflection questions to deepen and expand the practice. The 11th Bonus Activity encourages groups to perform 108 Sun Salutations and provides instructions and hints on how to successfully hold a yoga fund raiser with kids.
Humphrys has taken a theme and developed it to the hilt. Boys everywhere will connect with Yoga Man in this classic battle of good vs evil. As they learn Sun Salutations children will become superheros and develop the skills to conquer The Stressor in their own lives.
To enter leave a comment below telling of what Sun Salutations mean to you or some insight you gain when contemplating the sun (warmth, light, etc.)
For additional entries:
- Visit Young Yoga Masters on Facebook and post on their wall about the giveaway
- Share this review on Facebook with an @yogainmyschool.com mention (multiple entries allowed)
- Tweet about the contest on Twitter with an @DonnaKFreeman mention (multiple entries allowed) “Yoga Man teaching resource #giveaway rocks @DonnaKFreeman http://bit.ly/gYPXrg”
Contest closes on May 2nd, 2011 at 9:00 pm MDT. Winner will be chosen at random and their name will be posted here, on Facebook and Twitter.
To purchase a copy of this downloadable kids yoga teaching resource visit Young Yoga Masters.
For more information on how to encourage boys to do yoga check out the Yoga for Boys Interview.
UPDATE: Congratulations to Sara Guenther who won our giveaway of Yoga Man vs. The Stressor. Thanks to all who entered. Watch for our next giveaway – a copy of Flying Eagle: Kids Teach Yoga DVD by Yoga Calm.