We are thrilled to invite you to join us for the 100th Episode of the Yoga In My School podcast on iTunes.
I started the podcast as a way of adding interesting content on my then blog back in 2009. The first few episodes were a steep learning curve as I dove into a unfamiliar format and technology. My first live guest was Abby Wills of Shanti Generation. Since then I’ve had the privilege of interviewing over 100 leaders in the yoga and mindfulness community with a distinct bent toward kids yoga and school yoga programs.
A couple years ago I nearly gave up on this labor of love as I didn’t know if anyone was listening. Well they are….and in droves with over 200,000 listens. While attending the National Kids Yoga conference and through contact with the world wide youth yoga community I’ve come to learn that many, many kids yoga enthusiasts listen to these podcasts and love them. If you are one of our dear listeners please rate the podcast on iTunes.
I invite the world wide kids yoga community to celebrate this milestone. Join a number of guests of past episodes, who are now cherished friends and colleagues, chime in live on Jan 5th, 12:00 noon Eastern/9:00 am Pacific. You can listen in live (or after the event).
Massive Kids Yoga Giveaway
In conjunction with the 100th Episode we are giving away a plethora of kids yoga swag. Enter via Rafflecopter below. Contest runs midnight Dec 26th to Jan 4th, 2017. Multiple entries allowed including daily sharing via Twitter. Winners of all prizes will be announced during the live broadcast.
100th Episode PRIZES:
- One Year Yoga In My School Teacher’s Lounge membership
- The Biz of Kids Yoga 101 Online Course from Jodi Komitor of Next Generation Yoga
- Yoga Man v The Stressor online teacher training from Aruna Humphrys of Young Yoga Masters
- Yoga 4 Classroms Online Course from Lisa Flynn of Yoga 4 Classrooms
- Yoga 4 Classrooms card deck from Lisa Flynn of Yoga 4 Classrooms
- Yoga for Children book from Lisa Flynn of Childlight Yoga
- 2 Wisdom Within books from Allison Morgan of Zensational Kids
- Move Mindfully Poster Strips from Kathy Flaminio of 1000 Petals
- Butterfly Bundle from Shakta Khalsa of Radiant Child Yoga
- Little Flower Yoga for Kids book from Jennifer Cohen-Harper of Little Flower Yoga
- Yoga and Mindfulness card deck from Jennifer Cohen-Harper of Little Flower Yoga
- Yoga and Mindfulness Coloring & Activity book (new release Jan 2017) from Jennifer Cohen-Harper of Little Flower Yoga
- Mindful Moments for Kids CD from Kira Willey of Fireflies Yoga (US Recipient)
- Yoga Skills for Youth Peacemakers DVD from Abby Wills of Shanti Generation
- Come Play Yoga CD from Shari Vilchez-Blatt of Karma Kids Yoga
To the show’s listeners, guests and generous sponsors
Host Donna Freeman discusses how to work with kids darker sides with guest Cheryl Crawford, founder of Grounded.
Discover how addressing kids darker states of mind can relieve their perceived expectations of always having to be happy. This awareness leads to lighter and brighter clarity.
Learn how allowing and recognizing shame, doubt and fear in the lives of youth, helps them to feel whole, to recognize themselves and to know they are perfect just the way they are today.
Cheryl will provide specific examples from her work with at-risk and under-served populations in Atlanta.
Original Air Date: September 11, 2013
Like YIMS on Facebook for notifications of more LIVE broadcasts
Shari Vilchez-Blatt loves kids! This is the first thing you notice when you walk into her yoga studio, Karma Kids Yoga in New York City, a studio which caters to young yogis.
Shari’s enthusiasm and fun, creative approach to life infuses everything from the colorful wall paintings and bright green floor to the kids birthday parties, special events (such as Downward Doll Yoga and Pajama Glow in the Dark Yoga) and award winning music CD “Come Play Yoga!”
Shari joins Donna Freeman to talk all things kids yoga and share the impact she’s seen in the lives of families who participate. We’ll also delve into how partner poses influence children, youth and families creating connections, building trust and improving balance along with adding laughter and excitement to yoga class.
Original Air Date: June 4, 2013
- 7 tips on how to partner kids
- 25 unique partner poses with multiple variations for everyone from toddlers to grandparents
- a great partner yoga game
Can’t believe it … I fed my kids completely the wrong thing for breakfast (according to Ayurvedic principles). But what did I know. I’ve eaten it all my life.
Thank goodness for Cate Stillman, YogaHealer, and her easy to employ body care skills.
As I spoke with Cate during our recent interview the idea of adopting a few basic Ayurvedic practices into our lives felt more and more doable. I have a very basic understanding of Ayurveda and know I’m a strong Pitt with Vata tendencies and some ways to help keep that in balance. But there is tons I don’t know, especially as it relates to my family and raising my children with awareness of their bodies. Sure we do yoga together, make what I believe to be healthy food choices most of the time (… I do love my chocolate), and try to get adequate rest. However, I also know that we could live healthier, more vital lives with a few tweaks here and there.
- suggestions for curing mouth breathing and the reasons why nostril breathing is so important
- recipe for Boo Candy and why you’ll want to make it part of your daily diet (I’m making some today)
- tips on living a snot-free life
- and much more
Here is the article from MindBodyGreen that we refer to in the interview – Got Snot? Top 3 Reasons (and Solutions) from Ayurveda
Like YIMS on Facebook for notifications of more LIVE broadcasts
Yoga Games Galore is packed with 112 yoga games for physical, mental, social and emotional development. Adding the element of play to your yoga practice and classes is a powerful and highly enjoyable approach which considers each individual as a complex and wonderful being, while honing valuable skills, traits and attributes.
Yoga Games Galore Includes
- 20 Breathing Games such as Air Soccer, Blow Painting and Piston Breathing
- 28 Yoga Activity Games with favorites Yogi Says, Musical Mats and Yoga Jenga, as well as Leep Yoga Frog, One Om, Who’s the Leader, Animal Imitators, Postcards, Transportation Clues and many more
- an entire section of relaxation, mindfulness and meditation games — for example: Be a Wax Work, Puppet on a String and Turtle Walking
- loads of yoga games to play with balls, bean bags, feathers, hula hoops, parachutes and pompoms
Enjoy accessing the many benefits of yoga poses, breathing techniques and mindfulness while having a blast. Yoga Games Galore will take your kids/family/teen yoga classes to the next level by providing a plethora of options for every age and ability. Never be at a loss of what to do for an entire class, as an opening activity or to finish off the last 5 minutes.
“Play is our brain’s favorite way of learning”
Yoga Games Galore is an environmentally friendly digital download arriving directly to your in-box. Save it to your hard-drive and use it again and again. Print it off for easy reference. Enjoy 40 pages of fabulous, fun yoga games.
Introductory price of only $18.97 – no shipping or handling fees (YEAH!)
Members of the YIMS Teacher’s Lounge can access +20 yoga games via the Yoga Games resource page.
Donna had a wonderful time presenting at the National Kids Yoga Conference held in Washington, DC Sept 30-Oct 2. As a thank you for all those who attended and for our amazing YIMS community we are giving away a copy of Yoga Games Galore. Contest runs until October 12th.