Stress isn’t reserved for adults. Kids and teens lives are busy with school, extra curricular activities, friends, family, work and more. Teaching youth mindfulness skills assists in managing stress, improves focus and increases enjoyment in life.
“the awareness that emerges through paying attention on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgementally to the unfolding of experiences moment by moment.” ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Mindfulness creates space by bringing awareness to our experiences be they sensory, mental or emotional. Mindfulness skills help children perform at their best during everyday life as well as challenging situations, such as: test taking, sports, public speaking, drama and music performances, social interactions, changes in family dynamics, bullying and changes in schedule (ex: start of the school year).
- decreases stress
- boosts cognitive flexibility and memory
- improves attention and focus
- fosters self awareness
- heightens empathy and compassion
- promotes positive moods and feelings
- enhances sleep quality
- improves impulse control and self-regulation
- strengthens the immune system
- reduces emotional re-activity
- increases relationship satisfaction
- lessons symptoms of depression, anxiety and PTSD