The world needs more love, compassion and understanding.
Metta is a Pali word meaning Loving Kindness. This is a simple yet profound practice which directs our intentions to wishing ourselves and others happiness and peace. Loving Kindness Meditation helps us understand that all beings deserve compassion. I always use this meditation during February to celebrate Valentine’s Day.
Loving Kindness Metta Meditation (length 5:35)
We love teaching the magic of mindfulness to kids and teens. It’s easy and amazingly effective. Learn how.
This holiday season cultivate a sense of gratitude and loving kindness with this quick metta mindfulness practice.
- Close your eyes, take a couple slow deep breaths
- Imagine someone who is loving and kind – a friend, relative, pet, teacher, spiritual leader, mentor
- Take a moment to bring their image to mind and feel as if you are looking into their eyes
- Imagine that person saying to you “May you be happy. May you be healthy, May you be safe. May you be happy.” (You can use your own words or aspirations)
- Now say the same words back to that person with feeling and intention
- Now imagine your family or those who you will spend the holidays with, some of which you may not always get along. Wish them well using these same words.