Discover how to take a basic yoga tree pose (vrksasana) and make it into something playful, creative and interesting. From tree pose with namaste hands to tricky tree and beyond you’re sure to find inspiration for your next kids yoga class in Ten Trees. All these versions of tree pose build balance, focus and concentration while increasing creativity, poise and grace. And best of all they’re FUN!
Which is your fave?
How many varieties can you come up with?
Music serenades our lives, adding significance to moments, people, and events, connecting us to our experiences, emotions, memories and dreams. Truly the soul has an innate love of music. In addition, sounds have a profound influence on our cognitive functioning, motor skills, emotional development, behavior and social skills. There is scarcely a single function of the human body which is not affected by musical tones.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. ~Plato
Using music in a children’s yoga class is a wonderful way to allow them to develop their bodies and minds. From simple nursery rhymes to custom written kids yoga scores, children will respond positively to melodies and movement.
Benefits of Music in Kids Yoga Class
- connects and brings people together, helping us interact one with another
- engages our emotions and has a powerful impact on mood and energy levels
- teaches rhythm, timing, orientation and coordination
- focuses the mind and increases concentration
- develops language and speech skills
- improves listening skills and phonetic awareness
- encourages creativity and self expression
- enhances overall health and a sense of well-being
- increases intelligence and brain connectivity
Best of all kids don’t really care is you can sing or not. So let lose, crank up the tunes, sing a favourite song and dance like no-one’s watching.
For inspiration check out these samples of using music in a kids yoga class: Star Pose, Bug Yoga (spider pose), Shark Attack. Or fill your mp3 player with catchy tunes and enjoy these musically inspired yoga games: Freeze Dance and Musical Mats.
Some valuable resources for your kids yoga class include:
- I Grow withYoga: Yoga Songs for Children – by Childlight Yoga
- Come Play Yoga – by Karma Kids Yoga
- Dance for the Sun – by Kira Willey
- Musical Yoga Adventures – by Suzi Frank and Linda Lara
- Stress Free Kids – music CDs for relaxation by Lori Light
Always Adding More on Pinterest
Visit the Music for Kids Yoga Class Board on Pinterest for lots more ideas.